Updated guidelines were released by Gov. Walz on May 5th allowing certain elective procedures to be performed provided protocols are in place given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The Minnesota Board of Dentistry has also provided additional guidance to provide certain types of elective care for our patients in a manner that is safe for our patients and our staff members provided we are able to obtain recommended PPE. Starting May 11th our office began phasing in certain types of elective procedures back into our schedule.
We performing certain elective procedures with the following guidelines:
We will prioritize scheduling patients with the following conditions:
● Infections including caries, periodontal disease, pericoronitis, or periapical abscess
● Conditions causing significant pain or discomfort
● Risk of bone/ gum tissue loss if treatment is delayed further that could limit replacement options for missing teeth
● Pathology of the oral cavity
● We will also prioritize any patient’s with the above conditions whose previous appointment was canceled during the emergency only restrictions
● Any patient that is a high risk for COVID-19 will continue to have treatment deferred ie. elderly, compromised immune system, or other significant health issues.
● Any patient with symptoms of COVID-19 including fever, cough, shortness of breath, loss of smell, chills will be rescheduled until they are symptom-free and self-isolated for at least 14 days.
● Patients are asked to contact the office via text message or phone call once they arrive and wait in their cars until we are ready to see you for your appointment.
● We ask you to come alone to your appointment unless absolutely necessary to limit the number of people in the office at one time. ie. escort for sedation or accompanying a minor.
● Appointments will be staggered to reduce the number of patients in our waiting room at once.
● We kindly ask that you wear a face-covering and gloves to your appointment. ie mask, scarf, etc.
● All patient and visitor temperatures will be taken immediately upon arrival, any person with a temperature greater than 100.3 will be asked to reschedule their appointment until they are symptom-free and self-isolated for at least 14 days.
● All patients will be asked to complete a COVID-19 screening questionnaire prior to their appointment.
● Anything you use or provide to us will be disinfected. ie driver’s license, insurance cards, pens, etc prior to handing it back to you.
● We offer convenient “contactless” payment options.
● We will have all patients use a 1.5% Hydrogen Peroxide rinse prior to procedures that have been shown to kill the coronavirus.
● Our staff will be disinfecting our treatment rooms after each patient visit with a hospital-grade cleaner and disinfectant.
● Common use areas that patients and staff frequently touch such as doorknobs, waiting room counters, pens, etc will be cleaned several times throughout the day with the same hospital grade cleaner and disinfectant.
● Our staff for each patient will be wearing additional PPE. Gowns, full face shield, gloves, hair coverings, and N95 masks for clinical staff during procedures. Gowns will be changed between patients to limit cross-contamination. Masks and gloves will be thrown away after each patient.
● Non-clinical staff will also wear a mask and gloves at all times.
● All non-disposable equipment will be clean based on manufacturer recommendations. All surgical instruments will be cleaned to remove debris, ultrasonic cleaned, then heat sterilized after each patient as we have always done.
Our office continues to closely monitor executive orders by Gov. Walz, recommendations by the Minnesota State Board of Dentistry, ADA, and CDC. As additional recommendations are released we will continue to modify our guidelines to provide safe care to our patients and protect our staff members. As always if you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office.
Thank you for your continued trust in our office.
Dr. Hueler, Dr. Lyu, and Dr. Voegele