Your temporomandibular joint is the hinge connecting your lower and upper jaw together, and is one of the more complex joints of the body, functioning as the tool in moving your lower jaw in any direction. “TMJ” or “TMD” (temporomandibular joint disorder) are often the phrases used to call a problem with this specific joint. Here at Midwest Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, our professionals want to ease this discomfort and help you get back to your regular lifestyle of eating and chewing without pain.
Many signs and symptoms of TMJ include:
– An earache, headaches, or pressure/pain behind the eyes
– The sound of popping or clicking when you close or open your mouth
– When you experience pain when opening your mouth (yawning, chewing, even speaking)
– The jaw muscles are tender
– Your jaw locks up or collapses easily
– Your teeth don’t fit properly
To help eliminate pain, speak to one of our surgeons, Dr. Hueler, Dr. Lyu, or Dr. Voegele, at one of our treatment centers in Savage, Shakopee, or Eden Prairie, Minnesota, and schedule an appointment or consultation. Some ways you can help relieve the pain is taking medication, reduce clenching/grinding by wearing a mouth guard, or do some relaxation techniques to relieve stress.
For more information, call our office in Minnesota at 952-226-7940 today!